I can't believe it. When I opened up my tax files out popped my long lost bran muffin recipe. These bran muffins are the best. They're actually moist and fluffy. You can tweak them with all kinds of additions, like a mashed banana, chopped apple, or any kind of dried fruit or nuts.
Today I decided to add some walnuts and chopped dates.
If you think you don't like bran muffins, try these. Just plain old wheat bran is available at Whole Foods, and health food stores. Every fall I buy a bag of it (only 75 cents!) and it lasts me through til spring. Oat Bran can be found near the oatmeal in any supermarket.
These freeze perfectly, just wrap them in foil and then plastic. Take them out in the morning while you make your coffee and zap them briefly in the microwave.
Date Nut Bran Muffins
oven to 365
3/4 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup oat bran
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup packed brown sugar (I like to use dark)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped waluts
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- Grease muffin tins or line them with muffin papers
- Mix together the brans and buttermilk and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg with the oil, sugar and vanilla and add to the bran mixture.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, powder and salt. Add in the dates, making sure the pieces do not clump together.
- Stir the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture until just blended. Fold in the walnuts.
- Mound batter into the muffin cups and bake for about 18 minutes until a toothpick just comes out clean. I use my 1 1/2 inch scoop and make 10 muffins.