Start the week off right, make a batch of bran muffins today. Here's another of the many bran muffin variations I make throughout the year.
Blackberry Walnut Bran Muffins
makes about 10 muffins
oven to 350
1/2 cup unprocessed wheat bran
1/2 cup oat flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 extra-large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 6 oz container blackberries, halved or rough chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix the bran with the buttermilk and set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a small bowl to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until well mixed. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.
- Pour in the bran/buttermilk mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the berries and nuts to the wet mixture and stir.
- Mix the dry into the wet until just incorporated, don't over mix.
- Fill 10 muffin cups and bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.