I made these in a 3 qt saucepan with just a couple inches of oil. No big deal. No huge production. A bottle of beer mixed with a cup flour makes the batter. Lime, garlic, and mayo, makes the sauce.
Fried Green Beans
vegetable oil for frying
- Fill a deep pan (wide enough for the beans) with a 2-3 of inches of oil. heat the oil to 350 to 375 degrees.
salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 large bottle of beer
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, then add the beer slowly to make a thin batter, about the consistency of pancake batter.
- Wash, dry, and trim just the stem end off the beans.
- Drop the beans in the batter, and then into the hot oil. They will fry to golden in about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Don't overcrowd the oil or the beans will stick to each other and the temperature of the oil will drop.
- Serve hot with sauce.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
juice and zest of 1 lime
1 garlic clove, finely minced
salt and pepper
- Whisk all the ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
Here are some other restaurant/pub inspired snacks...