Usually I just throw my summer fruit into a crisp or a crumble. This cake is a little more structured, but still lets the fresh cherries shine.
It gave me a nice excuse to use my cherry pitter again. It's very therapeutic.
Cherry Coffee Cake ~~~adapted from the August Food & Wine magazine
oven to 400
- Spray or butter a 9 inch spring-form or cake pan.
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3/4 cup sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
- Beat in the egg and extracts.
1/4 cup buttermilk
- Mix the sour cream and buttermilk. Add to the butter and sugar, along with the dry ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry. Don't overmix.
- Spread the batter in the pan, spreading out gently.
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- Scatter the cherries evenly over the top of the batter, pressing in sightly. Then sprinkle the almonds and sugar over all.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.