After you eat one or two, you'll wonder why you'd ever need anything else in a cookie.
I made them for the book group ladies, to balance out the decadent chocolate truffles and Belgian Chocolate Cake. I didn't want to be responsible for anyone going into shock from chocolate overload.
Vanilla Bean Shortbread Cookies
makes approx 2 dozen
oven to 350
1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks) at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
- Cream the sugar and butter together with the vanilla bean seeds. Blend in the flour and vanilla extract. Keep stirring until the dough comes together.
- Turn the soft dough out onto a floured surface and for into two disks, like for pie dough. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out the cookies. Place them on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the refrigerator while you clean up.
- Bake the cookies for about 13 minutes until firm.
- Cool on a rack