So many lemon recipes suffer from the wimp factor. They add a tablespoon of lemon juice or the zest of one lemon and then have the nerve to call themselves a lemon this or a lemon that. It's criminal.
And it's the same thing with poppy seeds. People seems to think that a tablespoon or two entitles them to emblazon the words poppy seeds all over their recipe title.
I assure you that these pancakes have earned their name fair and square. Lots of lemon flavor, lots of poppy seed crunch.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
zest of two lemons
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup poppy seeds
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together with the poppy seeds.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix just until combined. Lumps are fine.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle until lighty golden on both sides.
- Serve with maple syrup.
- Oh, I know you're wondering, and yes, maple syrup does go with the lemon, in fact the flavors complement each other beautifully.
- Did Citrus Week get all that citrus fever out of your system? Not me. Not a chance. I think it actually inflamed my passion. And now I've got all the recipes that didn't make it into this week's posts sitting there tempting me!
- Have a great weekend!
- One year ago today---
- Lasagna Arrabbiata